The Sign of the Four opens with an alarming scene:
“Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel-piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. With his long, white, nervous fingers he adjusted the delicate needle, and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. For some little time his eyes rested thoughtfully upon the sinewy forearm and wrist all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture-marks. Finally he thrust the sharp point home, pressed down the tiny piston, and sank back into the velvet-lined arm-chair with a long sigh of satisfaction.”
A little later in the story Holmes states,
“It is cocaine,” he said, “a seven-per-cent solution. Would you care to try it?”
Limitation of classical social movements
Classical social movements have often been limited by tunnel vision, cooptation, astroturfing, diversion, attrition, intimidation, repression, legal injunction, corruption, constraints of philanthropy, etc. Meanwhile, today, the 1% (the looter elite), are attacking the 99% on every side, capturing every institution of society, and privatizing every resource on the planet.
“America is in financial ruin. Europe and Asia are on the brink of self-annihilation. Chaos reigns. But like I’ve always said, there is opportunity in chaos.” (Xander Drax, The Phantom)
“When food is abundant a slime mold exists as a single-celled organism, but when food is in short supply, slime molds congregate and start moving as a single body.” (Wikipedia)
The 99% Solution
- The 99% Solution is not a “mob”. It is a self-organizing organism, a “complex adaptive system“.
- The 99% Solution is an emergent cultural slime mold that can engulf countless separate islands of class, political identity, and single-issue activism.
- The 99% Solution has the potential to initiate and sustain a fundamental cultural phase transition.
- The 99% Solution can assimilate (but does not require) leaders, agendas, advisers, critics, and philanthropists. It only requires active participants.
“You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile.”
- The Co-Intelligence Institute works to further the understanding and development of co-intelligence. It focuses on catalyzing co-intelligence in the realms of politics, governance, economics and conscious evolution of ourselves and our social systems. We research, network, advocate, and help organize leading-edge experiments and conversations in order to weave what is possible into new, wiser forms of civilization.
- Christian Garland • Logics of Resistance : Autonomous Social Movements in Theory and Practise
- If the Interstate System Were Designed by a Slime Mold (blogs.smithsonianmag.com)
- Organizing P2P organizations (section on bio-mimetics) (PRA 2010)