I think its time to organize something called The Green Union.
Membership in The Green Union will supplement, not replace, membership in other unions. Membership will be open to all workers and consumers, including the unemployed.
The agenda of The Green Union is to promote a green economy through a general boycott of all products, services, companies, and jobs that are not green, and through the creation and spread of green alternatives.
To support this agenda, The Green Union would
- Serve as a clearinghouse for standards and ratings on the greenness of all products, services, organizations, and jobs. (the product category would include legislation and political candidates)
- Serve as an incubator for green activism, green business, and green jobs.
Green Union Mall
One idea for incubating green business and green jobs is a Green Union Mall. A green mall would be a local cooperative that might look like any other mall except that all the businesses, products, and jobs in the mall would meet green standards. The green mall would offer cooperative logistical and operational support to the businesses in the mall and to the wider green community. This could include shared front-office and back-office services, cooperative advertising, shared business equipment, cooperative finance and accounting services, green business start-up consulting, etc.
Another tool for promoting a green economy might be one or more forms of green (alternative) currency. It might make sense for The Green Union to promote one particular green currency or green currency standard.
Next steps for those who like this idea:
- Cooperative charter, bylaws, and website for The Green Union
- Detailed business plan for Green Union Malls
- Choosing or creating a preferred green currency or green currency standard
Please comment. I’d be glad to continue a discussion of these things here or on another venue.
- green standards
- green pages
- Green America
- alternative currency
- metacurrency project
- Shareable Commercial Spaces